You’ve flirted, you’ve chatted, and you’ve landed a date. This person obviously has a few qualities that intrigue you, but most likely you only know what’s on the surface. Getting to know someone on a deeper level is one of the most exciting parts of the dating process, because it allows you to truly understand and appreciate a person. Of course, first dates can also be very nerve wracking as well. Coming up with witty conversation on the spot might not be something that comes quite as easy. That’s why I’ve put together some of my favorite first date questions to help get the ball rolling. Each question below can be used to gather information about the category that it’s listed under:
Family and Friends
- Do you have any siblings?
- Are you close with your parents?
- How often do you see your family?
- Do you have any family traditions?
- Where did you grow up?
- Did you have any pets growing up?
- What do you and your friends do for fun?
- How often do you see your friends?
- How long have you known your friends?
- Who would you consider your best friend and why?
Hobbies, Interests, and Lifestyle
- What’s your favorite type of music?
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- Are you a cat person or a dog person?
- What do you usually keep in the fridge?
- Do you like (or play) sports?
- When is your birthday?
- What is your favorite food?
- Are you a morning person or night owl?
- What kind of toppings do you like on your pizza?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- Have you read any good books lately?
- Tea or coffee?
- What do you like to do on the weekends?
- How often do you go to the gym?
- Would you consider yourself religious?
- Do you follow politics?
Goals and Aspirations
- What did you study in college and why?
- Where did you go to school (or why did you choose not to go to school)?
- Where do you work?
- What was your first job like?
- What is your dream job?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What would you consider your greatest goal in life?
- Have you traveled anywhere exciting?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
- What are you looking for as far as dating and relationships go?
- How long was your longest relationship?
Strange, yet Insightful
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one person, who would it be?
- What would your three wishes be if you found a genie?
- What would you do if you were President for a day?
- Do you have a hidden talent?
- What is something most people don’t know about you?
- What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- If you could have any superpower what would it be and why?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- What are you most afraid of?
- What is the one thing that you could never live without?
- Do you believe in the 3 second rule?
- How do you feel about pinky promises?
Don’t forget to pose any other questions that are especially relevant to you. For example, if you’re a huge Harry Potter fan, why not ask if you share that passion. Finding common ground will only increase your solidarity. Good luck on that first date!
This image has been modified by How to Survive Modern Dating.