If you haven’t used Tinder yourself, you’ve probably at least heard of it. You may have even helped out a friend decide on which singles deserved a “swipe right” and which deserved a “swipe left.” However, for those of you who are not familiar with this app, let’s start with the basics…
What is Tinder?
Tinder is a phone app that has revolutionized the perceptions of online dating. It’s popularity, ease of use, and accessibility have opened the eyes of many who may have previously been turned off by the idea of meeting someone online. Users set up a simple profile with basic information and pictures. Once everything is set up, the app will use GPS to locate other singles in the area. When their pictures show up on the screen, users can either swipe left to pass or right to approve. However, only users who have both shown mutual interest will be notified of a swipe right action.
I’m sure you were already processing the pros and cons of this app while you read the above section. Let’s try to sort them out though…
- Easy To Use – You don’t have to be a computer wiz to figure this app out. Heck, you barely need basic skills to figure out this app. Really, it’s that easy!
- Accessible – Just about everyone has their phone 24/7. You’ll be able to check your matches whenever you have the convenience….although, maybe this isn’t always a pro…
- Popular – According to the New York Times, over 50 million people use Tinder every month. This large statistic makes it less embarrassing to give this app a chance. The previously perceived negative notions about internet dating have rapidly declined.
- Little Effort Required – All you have to do is swipe right or left. It’s really that simple!
- Only Those You’ve Shown Interest Can Message You – Say goodbye to unwanted messages from creepy dudes. Of course, someone you thought was hot might just end up being…well, not. But, there is definitely more of a filter thanks to this feature.
- Little Information – You don’t have enough information to really judge a person’s character. This can be a good thing in some ways because you’ll give more users a chance. However, it is more difficult to decide who is worthy of a first date if all you really have is a picture.
- Intentions – This app has the notorious reputation as a hook-up app. Granted, its overall set up does seem to be geared towards an audience looking for casual sex. However, it doesn’t always have to work that way. There are plenty of people that use this app for the purpose of finding true love too.
- Can Be A Lot To Process – The process of swiping often become more appealing than the actual messaging. If you don’t keep your eyes on the prize, it is very easy to loose focus.
These pros and cons were solely derived from my own experiences. I’m sure others will have their own opinions; however, I would still encourage many of you to give Tinder a chance. This dating app forces you to be open to a larger pool of singles. If you aren’t 100% sure of your perfect match’s criteria, I would especially recommend it to you.
Tinder can be downloaded through your smartphone app store for free! Check it out!
This image has been modified by How to Survive Modern Dating.